Monday, June 2, 2008

Tag! I'm It!

I've been tagged by Sarah over at Crescent Moon Reviews (lovely name for a blog!)

Here are my answers:

1. Who is your all-time favourite author, and why?
It would probably have to be Jane Austen. I think she writes the most beautiful prose and lovely stories. I really get sucked in by the romance of each one, even though they do seem to follow the same basic plotline. This may change over time though, as there are several other authors I greatly admire (such as Vladimir Nabokov) but of whose work I may only have read one so far. Perhaps I need to do a little more reading before I establish my favourite author.

2. Who was your first favourite author, and why? Do you still consider him or her among your favorites?
Ann M Martin, author of The Babysitter's Club series. I read those books over and over and over again when I was young. I envied all of their adventures and their close friendships with each other. I still have all of my books, which probably number around 150, although that's not all of the books in the series. I did eventually grow out of them, but if I see the books going cheaply one day, I might buy up the rest to complete my series.

I kind of wish I had a better answer, but I never read the 'classic' children's books when I was young, such as LM Montgomery's Anne... series and Kenneth Grahame's The Wind in the Willows, etc.

I did (and still do) very much love Roald Dahl, and I also read his books many times over. He had enough of an impact on me that I can still remember the day he died. I have an image of myself walking to the bookcase in my classroom in primary school. I think I probably chose one of his books to read that day.

3. Who’s the most recent addition to your list of favourite authors, and why?
Probably Truman Capote. I've read a couple of his works this year and been blown away by them.

4. If someone asked you who your favourite authors were right now, which authors would first pop out of your mouth? Are there any you’d add on a moment of further reflection?
Jane Austen, Truman Capote, John Marsden (Australian writer of young adult fiction) and Roald Dahl pop into my mind straight away.

On further reflection, I would probably add Arthur C Clarke, Charlotte Bronte, John Banville, Vladimir Nabokov, Jonathan Wylie, JK Rowling, Harper Lee, Charles Dickens, Margaret Atwood, Hunter S Thompson, Alexandre Dumas, Anthony Burgess, Ken Kesey, LM Montgomery, John Wyndham, Jack Kerouac, Bill Bryson...good lord! I better stop there I think!

5. Tagged
Er, I dunno. Tag yourself if you want to take part!

No comments: