Friday, May 30, 2008

BTT: Books vs Movies




(From 22 May 2008): Books and films both tell stories, but what we want from a book can be different from what we want from a movie. Is this true for you? If so, what’s the difference between a book and a movie?
I far prefer reading a book before watching the movie adaptation. In fact, I go out of my way to avoid watching a movie if I ever plan on reading the book (it hasn't always been this way though).

The reason I prefer to read the book first is so I can form my own ideas and pictures of the characters. Of course, this can lead to problems when I eventually see the movie - the characters won't necessarily be as I imagined, and I can't help but be irritated by the way the movie gets changed from the book (or things get left out), but overall, I'm happier doing it this way. I understand that a movie must be adapted a little, but honestly, quite often the changes are completely unnecessary.

No comments: