Wednesday, May 28, 2008

BTT: Manual Labour




(From 8 May 2008): Writing guides, grammar books, punctuation how-tos . . . do you read them? Not read them? How many writing books, grammar books, dictionaries–if any–do you have in your library?
Well, I don't read them straight through but I do love browsing through them from time to time (usually only when I'm looking up something specific).

At home I have a large 3rd edition Macquarie Dictionary with the accompanying Macquarie Thesaurus, and I have the Australian Government Publishing Services (AGPS) Style Manual. I bought all of them for a course I was doing in proofreading and editing, but we also have copies of the Style Manual at work. I also have the wonderful Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss. I've eyed off various other dictionaries (how I would love one of those huge etymological tomes!) and grammar books over time but haven't bought any more.

Also at work I have a couple of older grammar books that I rescued from certain destruction. I keep meaning to have a look at them to see whether they're actually relevant to my job, but...you know...work gets in the way. Lessee...one is called Choosing Your Mark: A Guide to Good Expression and Punctuation, and the other is called Using Grammar in Your Prose - both by Dr George Stern.

No comments: