Friday, January 25, 2008

BTT: Out-of-Print Books




I've decided to start participating in Booking Through Thursday. I always see interesting questions popping up that I would love to answer. According to the website, I don't necessarily have to answer the questions on a Thursday, so I'm just going to post the last couple of months worth of answers over a period of a week or so until I get caught up.

(From 6 December 2007): Do you have a favourite book, now out of print, that you would like to see become available again?

YES! Well, not so much a favourite book as many books that I would like to read but never see in shops. Until a couple of days ago, there was one in particular that stood out above all others, and that was '1985' by Anthony Burgess. It was originally published in 1978 as a tribute to George Orwell's '1984'. It's published in two parts: the first is a collection of essays and interviews discussing aspects of '1984'; and the second part is a novella set in 1985. I thought it sounded like an interesting read but despaired of ever finding it in a shop (new or second-hand) or on ebay. Then, a couple of days ago I did a search on ebay that I was expecting would be fruitless. But there it was! In excellent condition and reasonably priced. It was one of my happiest book purchases :)

There are quite a few other books that I would like to see given a new lease on life:
Anthony Burgess: The Wanting Seed (and anything else of his that isn't currently in print)
Graham Greene: The Third Man (I've seen an expensive version of this in shops, but would like to see it reissued properly and given the attention I think it would deserve)
Aldous Huxley: The Doors of Perception (and anything else of his that isn't currently in print)
Kathryn Kenny: Trixie Belden series (they've started reissuing these, but it's going to be years, if ever, until they get to the last, and rarest, books in the series)
Stanislaw Lem: The Futurological Congress/Memoirs Found in a Bathtub
Nancy Turner: Sarah's Quilt/The Star Garden
John Wyndham: Chocky
Yevgeny Zamyatin: We

No comments: