Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Review of 2007 Reading

I've had a most wonderful year in 2007 in terms of reading. I've read many truly wonderful books and just a couple of stinkers.

Here's a wrap-up of my reading:

10/10
Anthony Burgess: A Clockwork Orange
Ken Kesey: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Harper Lee: To Kill a Mockingbird (re-read)
K Rowling: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Bram Stoker: Dracula

9/10
Jane Austen: Emma
Charles Dickens: A Christmas Carol (re-read over 2006/7)
Charles Dickens: Great Expectations
George Grossmith: Diary of a Nobody
Jack Kerouac: The Town and the City
Vladimir Nabokov: Lolita
JK Rowling: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (re-read)
John Steinbeck: Of Mice and Men
Hunter S Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Kurt Vonnegut: Slaughterhouse 5

5/10 or less
Paulo Coelho: The Alchemist
DH Lawrence: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Anna Sewell: Black Beauty

In 2007, I read 52 books, which works out at 1 per week. I don't know how I managed that when Lolita and The Town and the City took up 2 months between them! I suspect it's also because I read quite a few short books. I'll aim to read 52 again in 2008.

I bought 170 books in 2007, 46 of which were brand-new (but often at discount book shops) and the rest were second-hand (bought from book shops, book fairs and off ebay). In 2008 I'm going to try to restrict my buying to less than 100 books. Surely this will be pretty easy; my wish list is getting pretty low now.

No comments: