Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Found: One Rare Book

I'm so excited today! I did a search on ebay earlier for Anthony Burgess (author of the brilliant A Clockwork Orange) in the remote hope that I would find one of his more obscure works that I've been dying to get my hands on, and there it was!

The book has been out of print for I-don't-know-how-long and I've never seen it in secondhand bookshops or heard much discussion of it anywhere. I've had it on my wishlist for a while but I didn't really have any hopes of being able to track it down! I am so terribly excited!

The book is called 1985 and it was originally published in 1978 as a tribute to George Orwell's 1984. From my understanding, it's published in two parts: the first is a collection of essays and interviews discussing aspects of 1984; and the second part is a novella set in 1985. It should make for some very interesting reading.

I am just so thrilled at finding this book! And it wasn't too expensive either! This is one happy little book-lover!

No comments: