Friday, July 13, 2007

Alice's Adventures In Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Rating: 7/10

Published: 1865
Number of pages: 108
ISBN: 086112457X

Started: 3 May 2007
Finished: 5 May 2007

Summary (taken from blurb):
When Alice follows the White Rabbit down the rabbit-hole, she finds herself in a wonderland of amazing characters where anything can happen. There is a Mad Hatter, a March Hare and a sleepy Dormouse who hold a never-ending tea-party; a Cheshire-cat who appears and disappears at will; a sad Mock Turtle who enjoys dancing with a Gryphon; a Caterpillar who gives invaluable advice on how to shrink and grow and a Queen of Hearts whose constant command is 'Off with their heads!'

Comments:
I got my edition of Alice's Adventures In Wonderland when I was quite young, and its illustrations of Alice are based on the original inspiration for the story, Alice Liddell. This is the first time in many years I've read this story - usually I just watch the Disney movie (one of my all-time favourite movies) - and I was interested to see the similarities and differences between the two.

Lewis Carroll has a wonderful way with words. I liked some parts (tea party, croquet game) more than others (Duchess and screaming baby - glad they left that out of the movie!), and the poems/songs were great. Alice is a terrific character and says some pretty amusing things; I like Carroll's play on words. I intend to read Through The Looking Glass soon, which I've never read before.

No comments: