Friday, July 13, 2007

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Rating: 10/10

Published: 1897
Number of pages: 402
ISBN: 0141024976

Started: 16 May 2007
Finished: 27 May 2007


Summary (taken from blurb):

Count Dracula's castle is a hellish world where night is day, pleasure is pain and the blood of the innocent is prized above all. Young Jonathan Harker approaches the gloomy gates with no idea of what he is about to face...

And back in England eerie incidents are unfolding as strange puncture marks appear on a young woman's neck...Can Harker's fiancee be saved? And where is the evil Dracula?

Comments:
This is a wonderfully told story and Stoker certainly knows how to build tension; I was hooked from the beginning. This novel has stood the test of time well, and it's no wonder that it's still one of the greatest horror novels ever written. The characters are lovely and the dialogue is beautifully written.

When I started reading Dracula, I realised that I never actually knew much about the story, other than that Dracula is a blood-sucking vampire. The book was quite different to what I was expecting, and in a good way. Not being much into the horror genre, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I very highly recommend it.

No comments: