Friday, July 13, 2007

Night Shift by Stephen King

Rating: 7/10

Published: 1978
Number of pages: 409
ISBN: 0450042685

Started: 5 May 2007
Finished: 10 May 2007

Summary (taken from blurb):
A collection of terrifying stories that reveal a shudderingly detailed map of the dark places that lie behind our waking, rational world.

These are tales to invade and paralyse the mind as the safe light of day is infiltrated by the creeping, peopled shadows of night. As you read, the clutching fingers of terror brush lightly across the nape of the neck, reach round from behind to clutch and lock themselves, white-knuckled, around the throat.

This is the horror of ordinary people and everyday objects that become strangely altered; a world where nothing is ever quite what it seems, where the familiar and friendly lure and deceive. A world where madness and blind panic become the only reality.

Comments:
This is a collection of King's short stories, first published in the late 70s. This is the first and only Stephen King book I have read. I borrowed it once off my brother quite a few years ago, and decided to read it again before I get started on any others (I have The Stand, and also borrowed Different Seasons from my brother).

The stories are pretty varied and some are a bit gruesome (Graveyard Shift, The Mangler), while others aren't too scary. The Children of the Corn and Trucks are two stories that I always remembered from the first time I read it. Overall, a pretty good read. I'm looking forward to reading more of his work.

No comments: