Monday, April 7, 2008

BTT: The End and Cover-up




(From 20 March 2008): You’ve just reached the end of a book . . . what do you do now? Savor and muse over the book? Dive right into the next one? Go take the dog for a walk, the kids to the park, before even thinking about the next book you’re going to read? What?
Depends on the time of day that I finish the book. If it's early, and I have another book on standby, I'll jump straight into the next one (time waits for no-one!). If the ending has packed a powerful punch, I might ponder it for a minute or two, but generally I don't give it much thought until a few days later when I sit down to write the review.

(From 27 March 2008): While acknowledging that we can’t judge books by their covers, how much does the design of a book affect your reading enjoyment? Hardcover vs. softcover? Trade paperback vs. mass market paperback? Font? Illustrations?
It doesn't affect my reading enjoyment at all. Sure, I may prefer certain editions of books over others, but ultimately it doesn't affect the way I read so I don't pay very close attention to the way the book looks.

I prefer softcovers, but only because they're easier to handle and carry around. Judging by my bookshelves, I prefer mass market paperbacks to trade paperbacks - I guess they're smaller and easier to store (also cheaper). Font doesn't bother me, so long as it's readable. Not sure if illustrations refer to those internally or externally, but I like 'em either way.

So there are my two thrilling answers to a couple of BTTs. I hope I haven't bored you to death (because I'm just about asleep at my keyboard).

No comments: