Tuesday, April 22, 2008

BTT: Vocabulary




I’ve always wondered what other people do when they come across a word/phrase that they’ve never heard before. I mean, do they jot it down on paper so they can look it up later, or do they stop reading to look it up on the dictionary/google it or do they just continue reading and forget about the word?
I usually get the general gist of it by reading the surrounding text, but if I'm in my bedroom with my dictionary close by I'll pick it up and search for it. Even if I pretty much know what it means, I sometimes like to look a word up to confirm it and to see 'exactly' what the dictionary says. If I'm reading at work I'll use my dictionary widget to look it up.

Most recently I looked up 'foppery' after reading it in A Picture of Dorian Gray. It's my new favourite word and one that can be used to sum up the entire novel. Don'tcha just love words?

No comments: