Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Rating: 8/10

Published: 1962
Number of pages: 217

Started: 28 March 2008
Finished: 30 March 2008


Summary (taken from blurb):
Charles goes searching for his lost father through 'a wrinkle in time' with his sister Meg and friend Calvin. They find themselves on an evil planet, where all life is ruled by a huge, pulsating brain known as IT.

The story of their journey through a myriad of dangers is now established as one of the most compelling fantasy classics of our time.

Comments:
A charming book and utterly enjoyable. As far as I was aware, this was the first time I'd read [i]A Wrinkle in Time[i] and yet I had a strange moment, as the children were first walking along the streets of Camazotz, when I realised that it was all sounding very familiar - I'd read this book before! It was such a strong feeling that I'm sure it must be true, in which case I'm glad I'd forgotten the plot as it gave me a chance to read and appreciate the story anew.

I loved all of the characters, particularly Charles Wallace. A lot of questions were left unanswered, but I hope that if and when I read the rest of the series these might be resolved. A very pleasant read.

No comments: